Saturday, August 16, 2008

What's In A Name? Sometimes Alot.

OK. I know exactly what you’re thinking. Really. I do. What in the world does the name of this blog mean? Thanks. Because that’s one of the reasons behind the name. Actually, the name is very dear to me, having been in my heart and mind for sometime. It was once the name I had come up with quite awhile ago for a ministry I wanted to start. Some years have passed and God has recently given me a wonderful home at Centerpoint Church. And in that context, this name finally finds itself attached to a ministry, my personal Centerpoint blog. So I am most thrilled.

So. Paradigm 153. Why? Well, let’s first take a look at what the word paradigm means. The American Heritage Dictionary defines it as “a set of assumptions, concepts, values, and practices that constitutes a way of viewing reality for the community that shares them,” Another definition from Webster’s is “an example; a model; a pattern.” We now have to go and have a look at the events recorded in the 21st chapter of John’s gospel in the New Testament. It’s a very cool account as John closes out this wonderful book of the Bible.

Peter, one of Jesus’ disciples and some of his friends decide to go fishing. But they come up empty handed after that night’s efforts. Not fun. The next morning, the risen Jesus stands on the shore and calls out to them, asking if they’ve had any success. Not realizing it’s the very Man they’ve been following for years, they reply no. Jesus tells them to cast their net on the other side of the boat and they’ll find some. They do. The net becomes so full of fish these guys can’t even haul the net into the boat.

When Peter realizes it’s the Lord who has given them this instruction he's so thrilled he can’t even consider waiting to bring the boat in to see Him. He throws himself into the water with what I imagine to be extreme delight and swims the length of a football field to get to Jesus on the shore, who already has a fire burning and breakfast prepared. At Jesus’ request Peter gets some of the fish from their catch. John records that there are 153 large fish contained in an untorn net, implying that such a catch would normally have broken a fishing net as theirs. They all proceed to have breakfast with the King of kings at his invitation.

That’s where I’m going to leave this for now. If you like, I’d suggest reading the account for yourself, and while doing so, you might as well just finish the remaining part of the chapter. If you don’t have a Bible handy, go to BibleGateway.com and use their online Bible.

In my next post, I’ll explain why the blog name comes from this passage and what it means. In the meantime, turn your own ideas around in your head.