Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The "Nines" and Bumper Wisdom

I'm a bonehead. Yeah, that's me. A bonehead for Jesus. Being a bonehead can sometimes be an endearing thing; sometimes I'm just a pain in the neck. Just ask my wife. There are days I need to walk around with a sign around my neck that says "I'm sorry; I'm just a bonehead saved by grace." And then there are those days when life has just kicked me around like a soccer ball.

On those days, whether I'm the culprit or the victim, or perhaps a tad of both, I can always count on one thing. When I arrive home and open my front door, two delighted pairs of eyes, accompanied by happy wet noses and smiling tails of high wag velocity are there to greet me and remind me that to them, I'm the greatest thing since rawhide.

The "Nines" ( short for canines) as I affectionately refer to them, greet me with doggy shouts of "Gee dude, we missed you!" , "Don't ever go away again, we can't do without you around one second.", and "Nobody - not anybody, has the job of loving you like us; sit down and let us show you." That's, of course, if you understand caninese, which I and a few others are privy to. Oh yeah, I forgot one of my favorites from Jake & Sophie: "We could care a less about what you've done wrong, lick, slurp!" Ah...unconditional terrier love - with a bit of fuzziness to boot.

You know how every once in awhile, you're treated to spotting a fantastic bumper sticker? I recently caught one, after a long great bumper sticker dry spell. It read: "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am." Enough said.