Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bumper Sticker Uneasiness

I saw a bumper sticker not too long ago. It read “Obama” with the date of the inauguration and the word “Believe”. That was a tad unsettling. Another image fairly fresh in my memory is seeing people during the campaign emotional to the point of tears in the fervor of the promises of their candidates. That was a bit disconcerting. And then there’s the church message series banner we hung out on a major thoroughfare in Annapolis which had the picture of Barack, Jesus, and John on it and the question, “The face of Hope? You Decide”. Someone later came along and made the effort to vandalize the sign. No, not spraying it with graffiti or putting mustaches on the faces. Nor pulling it down to be left silently on the ground. They choose rather to leave the sign hanging just fine, with the picture of Jesus cut completely out and removed. Some might find that alarming.

What I’m referring to here has nothing to do with a candidate. Although I didn’t vote for him, I think Barack Obama is definitely well intentioned and has the country’s best interests at heart. I’d like to attend his inauguration to be a part of an important moment in American history, but I won’t because I don’t think I’ll get anywhere near the action (if you’ve got a free ticket, let me know). I think having our first African American president is a milestone that breaks down barriers that are more than overdue and may even help toward the healing of racism in our country. And any man or woman who’s my president will get my support and prayers as the leader of our nation.

What I’m referring has everything to do with the followers. About the object of their trust and the rationale behind their fervent tears and shouts from their bumper to believe. Don’t they realize that these are only just people? Granted, very talented people, but nevertheless, people just like them. Don’t they realize that one human being, no matter how powerful the office they hold, can’t solve all the problems that face our country and the world? Don’t they understand that there are just things the government can’t work out? That there are issues that are beyond the resolution of human effort?

Can't they consider that perhaps the answer is in a supernatural solution? That the object of their believing should be in a supernatural Person. And just perhaps the intervention of that Person in the lives of their candidates, the life of our new president, and in their own is what can make the difference. Bring about some needed changes. I believe in leadership, most certainly. And I do believe that one person can make a significant difference. But not without the divine. Not without the guy cut out of the banner.