Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Targets Part 1

Hey, I’m just a kid at heart. If you know me, that comes as no surprise. If you don’t believe me, just ask my wife. Boys like to shoot things. Sorry, but we just do. I don’t think it’s genetic or hormonal. Perhaps cultural; maybe societal. But sheesh, I wasn’t intending on doing this major exploration into why. It just is. Some girls like to shoot things too and the guys that like to shoot things think the girls that do are cool. Just a note if you’re single and like to shoot things (hey, I’m just trying to help).

You can ask my brother. When we were little (I’m 7 years older than he is) I had the coolest BB gun around. Needing something challenging and entertaining to shoot, naturally I looked to him. I don’t think I really wanted to kill a bird, squirrel, or rabbit. They were so cool and fascinating. They never drove me crazy; my brother did. Only made sense.

We would be out in the yard (we lived in a very rural setting) and I would tell him to run and that I was going to shoot him. Being his usual pain-in-the-neck self, he’d protest, so to propel him along his way out into a fair target zone, I threatened to shoot him point blank if he didn’t get a move on. Me being the excellent brother that I was, I further requested that he not look back at me, so I wouldn’t shoot him in the face (very hard to hide from my parents and also having more repercussions than a leg shot). I might score a couple of good shots, maybe with the reward of a good scalp bump. Excuse me a sec while I stop laughing...

Ok. Ok. So now I want to shoot stuff again. I don’t want to hunt. And making people holler ouch is much more fun. Remember, I speak from experience. I’ve wanted to try paintball, but I don’t want to be a paintball geek. I want to make my friends scream OUCH !, not stain their clothes. I can do that with a bottle of catsup. So I’ve heard about this thing called airsoft. The guns shoot little plastic BBs and you can feel it, depending on the circumstances. So I want to get a group together to do this. I think it might be fun. Teams. Nothing really serious. No face paint or camo. Well maybe later. Just some welts, bruises, and some good laughs. Running through the woods to get to a flag first, that buddy on the other team that frustrated me last week getting a few rounds of BBs on his backside as I make him head for the hills. You get the picture. More in the next post.