Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thoughts On Turning 25x2

Yeah, yeah, OK. Of course I knew it was coming. Intellectually. I still don't think I've actually absorbed it. Me, 50? A half a full dang century? No way. Yes...way. And then within a few days, two pop-icons die. Michael Jackson and Billy Mays, the Oxy Clean guy. Their age? Guess. Of course that hasn't a thing to do with turning 50; people all over are dieing at 50, 40, 30, and 20. But two celebrity dude passings in the news while I'm trying to transition into the next half century...sheeesh.

In many ways I feel better about turning 50 than I did 40. The big exception is that at 40, I wasn't 10 years away from 60. Ouch! Math always did hurt a little. But those last 10 have been chock full of adventure, accomplishment, and great experiences. Even the difficult things and the mistakes, God used for good.

I Googled "50 is the new..." waiting expectantly to see how Mr. Google would finish the statement. He offered its both the new 40 and the new 30. Yes! Thank you, Mr.G! Very cool. That kind of reflects how I feel. Even though the mirror insists on telling me differently, in my soul, I'm still more the 25 year old Steve than not. I'm basically that guy plus 25 years. And so many of the things I've experienced in the last 25 have enriched my life. So, I'll just be 25 Times 2 or Double 25, instead of 50. Thank you very much!

And huge thanks to King Jesus, because if it wasn't for him, I certainly wouldn't even be here writing this blog entry at the wise age of 25x2.